Why Do I Need A Professional Dental Cleaning & Checkup?
Most of your visits to Chapel Hill Dental will be for regular dental cleanings performed by a dental hygienist. This is when we perform a deep cleaning of your teeth to get rid of all the build-up that has accumulated since the last time we saw you. There's only so much that brushing and flossing can do -- with our tools we're able to remove all the tough stuff on your teeth and get into those hard to reach spots.
When you come in for your periodic dental cleanings, your dentist also has the opportunity to do a checkup to make sure everything is OK. This way your dentist can catch new problems as they arise and address them before they turn into bigger issues.
How Often Should You See Us?
We don't believe in the cookie-cutter approach. At Chapel Hill Dental, your recommended dental cleaning interval is based on your specific needs. That could mean 3 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, or 12 months. And the same goes for your checkup, because if your oral health is in good shape then we shouldn't have to do a checkup at every visit.
The Cleaning Appointment: Step-By-Step
1. Your hygienist will come greet you in the waiting area and escort you to the hygiene room that's been prepared just for you.
2. The appointment starts with a brief discussion of your medical history as well as any changes or concerns that have come up since your last visit.
3. Once your chair has been reclined, a general periodontal evaluation will take place. This allows your hygienist to verify the overall health of your hard and soft tissues by way of a visual inspection and a probing.
4. Now it's time to clean! Your hygienist will perform a scaling (also called root planing) to remove all the tartar that has built up on your teeth.
5. If you're due for a checkup, it will normally take place after the cleaning. This is when your dentist comes in to take a look at your teeth and make sure everything is in order. If your dentist sees anything unusual you'll be the first to know, and you'll be presented with options on how best to address the concern.
6. The appointment is almost over now. Before you go, a polishing will be offered to smooth out your teeth, reduce future tartar build-up, and send you off with a sparkling smile.
7. Finally, if you're a good candidate for a fluoride treatment, your hygienist will offer you a solution to swish around in your mouth. This solution remineralizes the teeth and helps protect them against caries.
8. Before you get up we'll want to book your next hygienist visit. Regular appointments are the key to keeping your smile as healthy as possible.